Monday, February 21, 2011

Day 1: Body for Life Eating Challenge



I have been thinking a lot about my diet and the changes that I need to make to it in order to look and feel my best. I have always had an issue with emotional eating and bingeing on unhealthy foods that are in the house (i.e. cookies, ice cream, chips, crackers, pretzels, chocolate).


I'm frustrated because I have struggled for so long with my eating and reaching my goals. I really wanted to be at my weight loss goal before we left for Prague. I lost about 6 pounds and then put 3 back on. It is so hard for me to lose weight it seems. I know I have not been consistent with eating healthy and have been eating way too much junk. I work out pretty much everyday so I know the only thing holding me back is my diet.


Back in September I had read the Body for the Life book and really liked the eating principles (not so much the exercise component). Bill Phillips' principles for eating clean, whole foods are spot on. I tried it out for a few days but immediately fell back into my old habits. I loved the way I felt during those few days and wasn't hungry at all. I want to try this way of eating again but this time stick it out.


Therefore, I am challenging myself to 21 days of Body for Life Eating.


They say it takes 21 days to form a habit, so if I can successfully complete this challenge then I can change my habits, and make this way of eating a way of life!


Body for Life Eating Principles:

  • Only eat whole, clean foods.  
    • No white flour or rice, sugar, candy, ice cream, chips, or any other "junk"!
  • 5 - 6 small meals a day
  • Eat every 2-3 hours
  • Each meal = a serving of one protein and one carb
  • One serving = the size of the palm of your hand or the size of your clenched fist 
  • Incorporate fruits and vegetables into as many meals as possible (modified)
  • You may eat whatever you want one day each week! Reward day for eating healthy all week!
Ready... set.. goooo!


I started things off with a Strawberry-Banana fruit on the bottom Chobani with some blueberries mixed in (excuse the half-eaten yogurt) and a cup of coffee with Silk soy creamer (not pictured).












Two and a half hours later I had four whole grain crackers and some cucumber slices with two tbsp of hummus sprinkled with paprika. 


Surprisingly, this had some serious staying power. Three hours later, I wasn't hungry but I had a protein bar anyway to prevent myself from getting hungry.

After a few hours of shopping I went to the gym. I had a ton of energy and busted out 4 miles on the treadmill and 15 minutes on the elliptical! 



I still wasn't all that hungry after the gym but I stuck with my Body for Life principles and had a green salad with Annie's Tuscany Italian dressing, raisins, and feta cheese. I also had some leftover Crockpot Chicken Cattiatore from the other night sprinkled with some parmesan cheese.






...I spy a little girly...






 After dinner I had a small amount of penne pasta with olive oil and some peanuts and raisins.


I loved the way I felt all day. I had a TON of energy throughout the entire day and was never truly hungry the whole day.


Day 1 was a success! Bring on Day 2.



No comments:

Post a Comment